Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED), is a third party building certification program developed by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). The program is designed to “transform the way buildings and communities are designed, built and operated, enabling an environmentally and socially responsible, healthy, and prosperous environment that improves the quality of life.”
With this goal in mind, LEED certifies projects, not products. The purpose of certifying projects instead of products is to emphasize the buildings’ end results instead of a prescriptive requirement. Although some credits have prescriptive requirements, the credits have all been written such that if the intent of the credit is achieved, a project will receive points. Thus, the LEED handbook is written such that there is a credit title, the intent of the credit, and then recommended—though not prescriptive—methods to obtain the credit.
Below is a list of areas where 3M™ Window Films may apply to certain credits’ intents. This does not in any way imply that the window films will satisfy the requirement for the LEED credit, but the product will work toward the intent of the credit. Credits can only be given by the USGBC.
NOTE: Each application is different. End users are solely responsible for evaluating and determining whether LEED credits can be acquired.
SS CREDIT: LIGHT POLLUTION REDUCTION BD&C 1 point
- Intent: To increase night sky access, improve nighttime visibility, and reduce the consequences of development for wildlife and people.
- Window films can reduce the amount of light emitted from a building, reducing light pollution.
EA CREDIT: OPTIMIZE ENERGY PERFORMANCE BD&C 1–20 points, ID&C 1–24 points
- Intent: To increase energy performance beyond the prerequisite standard to reduce environmental and economic harms associated with excessive energy use.
- Window films can improve the solar heat gain coefficient and/or U-value of windows to improve buildings’ energy efficiency.
MR CREDIT: BUILDING LIFE-CYCLE IMPACT REDUCTION BD&C 2–6 points, ID&C 1-5 points
- Intent: To encourage adaptive reuse and optimize the environmental performance of products and materials.
- Option 1. Interior Reuse (2 points)—Reuse or salvage interior nonstructural elements for at least 50 percent of the surface area.
- Window films are intended to be used as a retrofit to existing windows and glass. Applying the film allows users to improve the performance of existing glass rather than replacing it.
MR CREDIT: BUILDING PRODUCT DISCLOSURE AND OPTIMIZATION—ENVIRONMENTAL PRODUCT DECLARATIONS BD&C 1–2 points, ID&C 1-2 points
- Intent: To encourage the use of products and materials for which life-cycle information is available and that have environmentally, economically, and socially preferable life-cycle impacts. To reward project teams for selecting products from manufacturers who have verified improved environmental life-cycle impacts.
- Environmental Product Declarations which conform to ISO 14025 and EN 15804 or ISO 21930 and have at least a cradle to gate scope.
- 3M Prestige 70, Prestige 40 Exterior, and Prestige 70 Exterior have environmental product declarations registered. They are publicly available at environdec.com.
EQ CREDIT: LOW-EMITTING MATERIALS BD&C 1–3 points, ID&C 1–3 points
- Intent: To reduce concentrations of chemical contaminants that can damage air quality, human health, productivity, and the environment.
- The Products have been tested according to California Department of Public Health Standard Method v1.2–2017
EQ CREDIT: THERMAL COMFORT BD&C 1 point, ID&C 1 point
- Intent: To promote occupants’ productivity, comfort, and well-being by providing quality thermal comfort.
- Window film can help balance the thermal comfort of a building by reducing solar energy entering through windows, or heat exiting through the glass in cold months for low-e films.
EQ CREDIT: DAYLIGHT BD&C 1–3 points, ID&C 1–3 points
- Intent: To connect building occupants with the outdoors, reinforce circadian rhythms, and reduce the use of electrical lighting by introducing daylight into the space.
- The Products can be used to enable daylight in enclosed spaces and reduce the use of shades or blinds that obstruct access to daylight.
The technical information, guidance, and other statements contained in this document or otherwise provided by 3M are based upon records, tests, or experience that 3M believes to be reliable, but the accuracy, completeness, and representative nature of such information is not guaranteed. Such information is intended for people with knowledge and technical skills sufficient to assess and apply their own informed judgment to the information. No license under any 3M or third party intellectual property rights is granted or implied with this information.
Product Selection and Use
Many factors beyond 3M’s control and uniquely within user’s knowledge and control can affect the use and performance of a 3M product in a particular application. Customer is solely responsible for evaluating the product and determining whether it is appropriate and suitable for customer’s application, including conducting a workplace hazard assessment, reviewing all applicable regulations and standards, and reviewing the product label and use instructions. Failure to properly evaluate, select, and use a 3M product in accordance with instructions or to meet all applicable safety regulations may result in injury, sickness, death, and/or harm to property.
Warranty, Limited Remedy, and Disclaimer
Unless a different warranty is specifically stated on the applicable 3M product packaging or product literature (in which case such warranty governs), 3M warrants that each 3M product meets the applicable 3M product specification at the time 3M ships the product. 3M MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OR CONDITION OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR ARISING OUT OF A COURSE OF DEALING, CUSTOM, OR USAGE OF TRADE. If a 3M product does not conform to this warranty, the sole and exclusive remedy is, at 3M’s option, replacement of the 3M product or refund of the purchase price.
Limitation of Liability
Except for the limited remedy stated above, and except to the extent prohibited by law, 3M will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from or related to the 3M product, whether direct, indirect, special, incidental, or consequential (including, but not limited to, lost profits or business opportunity), regardless of the legal or equitable theory asserted, including, but not limited to, warranty, contract, negligence, or strict liability.